- Installer and program files have digital signatures (version 2017.12.20 was not signed). Please note that after installing this update About box still shows program version 2017.12.20, program functionality has not been changed. It is recommended to install the update anyway as running un-signed programs may cause issues with anti-virus software.
- Fixed autofill matching failure to aquire web page URL from new Chrome browser.
- Fixed: Print function printted items from Trash folder when "All items" option is selected.
- Password field in item details pane was not painted using password font when editing password.
- License key file for all users is now stored in %PROGRAMDATA%\Moon Software\Password Agent folder (previously in the registry). Current user's license key remains in %APPDATA%\Moon Software\Password Agent. See topic "Where is my license key stored?" in documentation for more details.
2016.6.1 (initial release of version 3)
This new version is completely re-written and contains many changes, of which only major ones are listed here. Version 2 was released in 2002, so it has offered you solid service for 14 years! Not many software packages offer such long service.
Starting with this release I'll use new approach to releasing updates. There will be no more major updates like jump from version 2 to 3 – both small and big updates will be released as more frequent updates. That also makes moving from one version to the next less painless as there are less changes between versions. I will try to release monthly updates, but critical bug fixes immediately, if required. Your license includes 365 days of free updates, so you'll get any updates, small and big for one year.
Major new features in version 3:
- Improved security. Data is kept in memory fully encrypted, like as on disk (in version 2 data was scrambled in memory but not encrypted). During normal viewing/browsing mode there is no moment in time where multiple fields of item are decrypted into plain at the same time. That minimizes possibility of plain text leak via memory dump or swap file. Item fields are decrypted one at a time only when needed to be drawn on screen. The same also in item details panel. Instead of putting all fields into edit mode at the same time, you can now only edit one field at time. That may first seem uncomfortable but is much more secure as if you capture program memory at time of editing item fields, you can possibly only capture contents of one decrypted field being edited, not all fields of the item.
For key derivation PBKDF2 with SHA2-256 is used, the old version did not use key stretching. Now you can also switch to alternative Twofish encryption cipher if desired. File contents is now authenticated before decrypting to detect file tampering and corruption. In addition, a serious bug in implementation of encryption was found in code base of version 2. That bug reduces security of files saved with version 2.
For all the reasons listed above it is highly recommended to migrate to version 3 of Password Agent. This is critical security update for anyone using any older version.
- Full Unicode application. Now all text fields are support Unicode character encoding, so text can be in any language.
- Autofill matching item. New Autofill matching item function can detect link from current web browser window, automatically find corresponding item and autofill from it. There is no need to first select the item to autofill from in Password Agent. You can work in web browser and when you need to login, just press global Autofill matching item shortcut key and voila, Password Agent that runs on the background retrieves current link from web browser, finds matching item in your data file and sends autofill text to browser. No web browser plug-ins are used. See topic “Autofill matching item (new in version 3)” on page 27.
- Two different fully user customizable items list views. Each view can display 1-3 lines of text about each item. If you liked compact 1-line items list view of version 2 more than the new default 2-line view in version 3 then you can press Alternative view button on toolbar to change view. To customize current view further choose View | Customize.
- You can now open multiple files simultaneously. If more than one file is open you see tab for each file to switch between files. You can also switch to different file from keyboard by pressing [Ctrl]+[F1..F9] or [Alt]+[F1..F9]. If more than one file is open then autofill function fills from currently selected file. You can copy and paste items and groups between files in fully secure manner, no plain text is stored in clipboard during such operations.
- New password generator with policies. Uses cryptographically secure random number generator. You can create named policies which are saved inside data file.
- Now you can attach external files to items. That is meant for adding only small files like license or key files and not for encrypting external large files like photos, because all attachments are always kept in memory and are embedded in data file.
- Template items. Items in Templates folder can be used as templates for new items. When you create new item based on template then all properties of template item are inherited. New item is a copy of template item, except title. See topic “Template items” on page 21.
- Now you can choose from hundreds of item icons, plus you can also change icon background color for each item separately. To change item icon first display item properties (double-click item) and then press button that displays item icon.
- Items list allows selecting multiple items at time, so you can select multiple items to copy, move, delete, print etc.
- To offer better portability, program settings are stored in .INI file instead of registry. Settings are stored in user's roaming profile in %APPDATA%\Moon Software\Password Agent folder.
- Native 64-bit version is also included.
- Support for high DPI monitors (200+ DPI).
- Compatibility with upcoming mobile version.