New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beltway

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  20:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ahto,

I'd like to thank you along with the many others (it must be thousands by now!) who have visited and registered to express their thanks for your development of FileTargets. The fact that it is near-freeware (requiring only a password which is freely available on your website) makes it that much more valuable to those of us who rely on its functionality and who haven't found a suitable replacement.

Of course, there are many reasons why a developer may decide not to continue work on a project. You have opted to remain free from the continual obligations and unreasonable customer demands that come with development of payware applications.

The reasons for your discontinuing development on FileTargets are yours alone and because it is near-freeware, you have no obligation to users of your product. However, the future of FileTargets is something in which all enthusiastic users have a great interest, about which so many have posted already. Also, I'm sure you realize only a few FileTargets users have registered here and expressed their thanks, enthusiasm and eventual disappointment upon learning there will likely be no further improvements to this unique and very handy utility. The number of actual users is, of course, much higher than just those who have posted here.

With such a considerable existing user base, I'm sure you've considered developing FileTargets as a payware application, but no mention has been made of this for quite some time. Again, the consideration is yours without obligation, but if you are no longer interested in development of FileTargets for whatever reason, I would respectfully request on behalf of all FileTargets users who have written here and via email to you that the source code be released (or even licensed, which would prevent support and other requests from end users) so that other developers can continue development on this excellent and extremely useful application you've designed.

You most likely realize that releasing the code under GNU or similar open source copyright would obligate all derivative programs to credit you appropriately, and I would think any open source developer would be happy to comply with whatever additional requirements you specify, such as a link to moonsoftware.com or even a registration scheme similar to the one used now (registration info from your website or elsewhere).

Again, I certainly recognize your right to cease development and even to freeze the code and not allow further development, as FileTargets is entirely yours. Nonetheless, I ask you as a grateful user to consider the impact your ingenious software has had on me and other users all over the world and, if you are so inclined, to make each and every one of us very happy by implementing some sort of allowance for the continued development of this excellent software concept, whether by you alone continued as semi-freeware, as payware, or with the help of others and licensed or open-source released code with your requirements.

Apologies for the long message...
Thanks very much for your attention, and especially for creating FileTargets. If I can be of any help, please let me know.
Gratefully,
Woolis Beltway

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  20:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Woolis and tanks for your message. It may happen that FileTargets functionality will be added to ShellTools in the future. At the moment I need to spend my time updating paid software first, as these updates are long overdue.

FileTargets started up as paid application, it did cost $10 to buy. While some people bought it I thought releasing it as freeware will bring me more customers via other ways.

I will not release source code as it is very old software. If anyone wants to develop similar application it is not complicated to write one from scratch.
Go to Top of Page

madhurasangeetam

India
4 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2011 :  08:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ahto....

I am sorry to say, you are disappointing many of your fans and the fans of FileTarget.

You are telling almost for the past 1 year that, the shell version is goint to be released. It was a very long time. Please, Please release the version little early.

I am presently using windows 7. Are u planning to release the version of File target to suit to this?

-Madhu Sudhan
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2011 :  09:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello!

There is no plan to update FileTargets in near future as I have other projects in progress that are long overdue as well.

Thanks for understanding,

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

phil237

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 June 2011 :  21:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Ahto,

Back in December of 2010 I let people know that FileTargets worked on win 7 32 bit, and it worked well, however when my computer started to act up, I decided to upgrade to a quad core 64 bit, FileTargets will no longer work.

I have spent some time and a number of downloads trying to find something that would work as well, or almost as well. Guess what? Really can't find anything that matches FileTargets in ease of set-up or operation when moving a lot of files around. You have a really good piece of software there

I, like so many others, would love to see a 64 bit version of this wonderful software, and would be willing to pay for it. You deserve to be rewarded for your efforts.

I think many people would be willing to purchase FileTargets if it were available, once they see how much easier it makes moving files. I know having it made my tasks a lot easier, and it would stand out among what's available now.

I hope you read this and will consider offering a paid version, if you do, I would be first in line to purchase it.

Thanks, Philip B.
Go to Top of Page

madhurasangeetam

India
4 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2015 :  21:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I am also ready to pay if the FileTarget is released to work with windows 8.1 or higher.

Atleast, the developer should release its code when he decided to discontinue the development of the software.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000