Multimedia Xplorer
 Xplorer ccess violation on Vista machine
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

larrym

4 Posts

Posted - 31 December 2007 :  21:27:27  Show Profile
I've loaded Multimedia Xplorer v209 on my Gateway GT5476E machine w 2Gb of RAM running Vista Home Premium. It worked well for a few months, now it does not work and gives the following error when trying to start:

"Access violation at address 0024BA08. Write of address 0024BA08"

I have tried uninstall/reinstall a few times, but no luck. I tried running it in safe mode, also no luck. Any suggestions to fix this?

Larry

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2008 :  00:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
You can try running it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode.
Go to Top of Page

larrym

4 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2008 :  08:53:10  Show Profile
Thanks, Ahto! Can you explain further, please?
L
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2008 :  18:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
If you open properties of your Multimedia Xplorer shortcut there is Compatibility tab. There you can select an older operating system compatibility mode. It may or may not help.

Note the program is years ago discontinued and not recommended for Vista.
Go to Top of Page

larrym

4 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2008 :  19:54:21  Show Profile
Thanks again, Ahto! Unfortunately, compatibility mode was apparently not compatible and it didn't work. Tried all the comparabilities in the pull down, but no luck.

I realize it's old, discontinued software--but it was working on my Vista machine for a long time! Just wonder what changed to make it not work any more.

Anyway, I'll find something else. Thanks for the help.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

larrym

4 Posts

Posted - 05 January 2008 :  17:50:57  Show Profile
I had given up on loading Xplorer and in the meantime had been loading various other software programs. When I loaded a few of them, I got failure notices that mentioned "Windows Data Execution Prevention" aka DEP. Help explained how to allow for individual programs.

I didn't get this notice for Xplorer, but thought I'd add it to the DEP white list.

Bingo! It works.

Any comments on DEP and how people deal with it in general? I could turn it off, it seems.

Larry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000