Shell Tools 1.0 released
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2007 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have released new freeware product called Shell Tools that includes updated versions of most older shell extensions like Filenote, CopyURL, FontLoader and RegisterEx. Only FileTargets is not currently included but if there is enough interest in FileTargets perhaps it will be updated and included in Shell Tools package in the future.

Shell Tools also works on Windows Vista.

Old shell extensions that were distributed separately are no longer available.

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  07:36:47  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahto,

I have the old version of FreshIcons still on my HD - and it seems to work just fine in Vista. I was curious as to your policy on distributing old freeware apps (in the Castle Cops forum, not for profit or anything like that, just to have it as a utility that people could download when needed). I see since you have this new package and it has all sorts of new tools / updated tools, I don't know if FI has been updated or included as is.

I will respect your wishes if you say no to the distribution - however, I think I have already found one person hosting it....

http://www.jimspages.com/freeware.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 28 January 2008 :  15:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Distribution of old verison can be done but I suggest not to distribute them because there is no good reason to do so as usually new ones are better then old.
Go to Top of Page

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  05:55:50  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Then would it there be any way to obtain the utilities that are bundled as separate entities?

That would definitely satisfy your request for only the newest apps being made available, but at the same time I'd much rather a user download an 18K file as opposed to a 1.3 MB .MSI with a slew of items he'll never use....

Of course, OTOH, that is great advertising for your other products lol....

Thanks for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 29 January 2008 :  14:34:11  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nkyadav
That would definitely satisfy your request for only the newest apps being made available, but at the same time I'd much rather a user download an 18K file as opposed to a 1.3 MB .MSI with a slew of items he'll never use....

All I can say is take it or leave it.
Go to Top of Page

dwpenn

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 20 June 2008 :  21:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When trying to run "Shell_Tools_101.msi" I get an immediate "Access is denied" error. On that popped error the full path to the install file was indicated, that's it. The file downloaded without a Read Only attribute, and I did clear the "this file came from another computer" block the XP Pro O.S. had put up even though the error I received didn't point to that as needed. Anyway that didn't help.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 21 June 2008 :  02:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you have some antivirus or firewall software that blocks execution of the setup file? You can send screenshot of the error message to support e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

hartvix

Norway
3 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2008 :  02:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a problem with the RegisterServer Shell Extension with some files. I first noticed that whenever I tried to open context menu for ImgBurn shortcuts, it would cause Explorer to hang or even crash. Please note that i did NOT try to use any of the Shell Extensions, just open the context menu, but it never got as far as opening. This was tested on 2 computers, both running Windows XP Pro SP3. I experimented with the settings for Shell Tools, and RegisterServer seems to be the culprit. The shortcuts for ImgBurn shouldn't be any different from others, pointing at %programfiles%\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe (v. 2.4.1.0, latest version from www.imgburn.com). I would suspect this goes not only for ImgBurn, but certain types of files/programs.
Other than this, I find Shell Extensions a nice and really useful tool, keep up the good work. :-)

hartvix
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 25 June 2008 :  19:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The crash you mention may be possible as I have seen it once as well. However, as Im abroad for some time with no computer, this issue will not be fixed in coming months.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2008 :  20:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I investigated the RegisterServer crash and now from verison 1.1 (beta available) it should not crash that way as it uses different method to check programs for exported functions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000