Font Xplorer
 Certain Fonts Will Not Copy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bob123

2 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  19:40:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have purchased Font Explorer 1.2.2. I am trying to copy some fonts to another directory, and then to a thumb drive, so that I can install those fonts into my children's computer. When doing the COPY operation in Font Explorer, it works for most of the fonts. However, for a small number of fonts, they will not copy. For example, when I try to copy the font named "Gungsuh", I get an error window from Font Explorer saying: "The fonts you have selected are temporarily installed. Their file locations are not known, so they cannot be used for this type of operation." When I double click this font in Font Explorer, it DOES show the characters correctly. When I highlight this font in Font Explorer, the Font Information at bottom of screen shows: "Font not permanently installed - no detailed font info available."

Any ideas as to why some fonts act this way? And how can I copy this font? Thanks in advance.

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  21:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Font can be installed so that in the registry there is reference to its file name (permanently installed) -- on that case we know where the file is and can copy it. But a font can also be installed so there is no reference to it's physical file, so Font Xplorer is unable to find out where exactly the font file is to copy it. The latter may also be caused by invalid font entries in the registry or Font Xplorer on some reason just is unable to read the info properly.

You can copy the font using Windows Explorer if you know the folder where it is (use Windows file search).
Go to Top of Page

bob123

2 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  22:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ahto,

Thanks for your response. I did further research in Microsoft and found that Gungsuh (and a few other fonts) is part of a collection of fonts (in a .ttc file) called batang.ttc and documented at http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/dev/LngCol_EA.aspx

I do see this batang.ttc on my system in the c:\windows\fonts directory. It is about 15 MB so one can assume that it is multiple fonts. Font Xplorer does not show this when looking at the c:\window\fonts. When I double click the batang.ttc in Windows Explorer, it shows only 1 font which I assume to be the first of the collection.

So, I guess the question is: Does Font Xplorer support .ttc font files (which are a collection of fonts)?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  00:05:51  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, FX does not support .ttc font collections.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000