Multimedia Xplorer
 PNG format
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stuart Stinson

2 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2004 :  18:31:32  Show Profile
Hmmm... this is *very* frustrating. Just realized, after depending on MXplorer for years, that it doesn't display PNGs. Although it does write them... how strange. This hasn't been an issue (obviously) until now.

I've been looking at other browsers to see if I could find a decent replacement. There are a few nice ones out there, but MXplorer is still top-of-the-heap in a lot of ways. Ergonomically, it can't be beat. The way you deal with EXE/DLL/ICL files is still unique... I'll continue using MXplorer as long as possible for that feature alone.

In short, the program seems to me to be well worth supporting, even if only in an adhoc, incremental fashion. Is there a way for you to provide hooks for third-party support? I suspect some of us would be happy to donate new code if this were possible. Or, alternatively, could you release some or all of the code as an open source project?

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2004 :  21:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
Well, internal design of MX is quite bad (since it was my first bigger project, BTW), so it does not make sense to make it open source, since the program needs to be completely re-designed internally and that is basically re-writing the program. Also it is dependent from 2 different commercial libraries (one for compressing and another for decompressing images, that is why it only reads PNG). At the time the program was released there was no decent graphics library available, that is why 2 different ones were used.

There is a slight chance that I'll release update in the future, though. But that will probably only happen if I'll accidentally fall in love and get huge loads of inspiration ...

Go to Top of Page

Stuart Stinson

2 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2004 :  23:05:36  Show Profile
Too bad! But I know how painful it is to show people the old code when you know how much better you can make it. So, I guess all I can do is wish you lots of luck with your love life.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000