Exporting to other software
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roypel

5 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2017 :  14:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Is there a way to export DB from PA 2017 to PA 2.6.3?
Is there a way to open a PA DB 2.6.3 in PA 2017?

Thanks,

Roy

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2017 :  14:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Of course your can open older PA 2.x data files in current version. The file will be converted to new, improved format. That is automatic process, you don't need to anything manually.

To use new file in old version is not that easy. If you really need to do that you can export into XML format and then import XML to old version 2.x.

I suggest to migrate to new version due to enhanced security and fixes in new version.
Go to Top of Page

roypel

5 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2017 :  15:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The XML Import/Export didn't work. Any other thoughts? I need the DB on 2.6.3 and its currently in PA 2017
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2017 :  15:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by "did not work"? You can write to support e-mail aadress.
Go to Top of Page

roypel

5 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2017 :  11:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PA 2.6.3 doesn't support XML import. Just TXT, CSV, PWA
So I can't import the exported XML from PA 2017
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2017 :  11:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had already forgotten that old version does not import XML. You can use CSV format then. But note that via this kind of plain text intermediate format you may lose some information.

If you can explain why you need to go back to old version then perhaps I have some better ideas. If you upgraded you file to new 2017 format less than 30 days ago you may have backup of your old version 2.x data file kept with extension .v2, in the same folder were your data file is.
Go to Top of Page

roypel

5 Posts

Posted - 25 July 2017 :  15:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried the CSV export/import option. Its unreliable, information is lost and there is a lot of data that is being offset to the wrong columns

The reason for all of this is because I'd like to export the data and import it to LastPass to use their mobile app (iOS), as PA doesn't have a mobile app and I need my passwords on the go. I still want to use PA on my desktop, just periodically export the data to LastPass. LastPass supports many file formats and 3rd party software DBs for import. When it comes to PA they only support the XML of PA 2.6.3 and not the new PA 2017 format. This is why I'd like to import my PA 2017 to PA 2.6.3 and then export it to XML in order to import it to LastPass.

While LastPass does support many other formats for importing, the "out of the box" XML import from PA 2.6.3 was very convenient.

Any other ideas? Maybe a way to convert the XML of PA 2017 to be in the same structure of the XML of PA 2.6.3?

Edited by - roypel on 25 July 2017 15:18:51
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1137 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2017 :  10:06:55  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Old version 2.x is unable to properly parse updated CSV of new version (mainly in Note field where line feeds, quotes and other special characters may be present). New CSV is more standardised (this format is not actually a standard, that is why so many different implementations).
I have updated Export window in version 2017 to allow choosing which fields to export. The update will be available in a few days. That way you can export only say Title, ID and Password to CSV, then should be able to successfully import this CSV to old version. CSV produced by new version is not quoted and fields are separated by commas. You need to adjust these settings in Import window of version 2.x (clear quote character box, otherwise fields are not parsed properly).
Go to Top of Page

roypel

5 Posts

Posted - 26 July 2017 :  16:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, sounds like something I can work with. While my some of my notes do contain important data, they aren't critical for the basic website login process, which is what I use PA for in 95% of the times.

Thank you very much for the help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000